Akwa Ibom State Governor Udom Emmanuel has described the fire disaster at Iwuokpum community in Ibeno Council that destroyed over 2,000 houses and rendered over 4,000 people homeless as pathetic and unfortunate.
He made the remark when he visited the scene of the inferno to commiserate with the victims of the tragedy.
Represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Emmanuel Ekuwem, the governor who expressed shock over the level of devastation and pain the inferno caused the community, assured the victims of his administration’s support and commitment to give them a new lease of life.
The governor commended the villagers’ concerted efforts in putting off the wild fire without any loss of life or injury, even without the help of the state’s fire officials and assured the fishermen whose houses were destroyed by the inferno of his administration’s readiness to provide adequate funds and necessary support to effectively assuage their pains.
Earlier, the village head of Iwuokpum village, Chief Okon Akpanowung, who spoke on behalf of the community, appealed to the governor for a speedy donation of relief materials to ameliorate the sufferings of the victims who were affected by the fire disaster.
AMAZING FACTS : The most common causes of house fires
Cooking Equipment : Pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire very easily if the person cooking gets distracted and leaves cooking unattended. Always stay in the room, or ask someone to watch your food, when cooking on hotplates.
Heating : Keep portable heaters at least one metre away from anything that could easily catch fire such as furniture, curtains, laundry, clothes and even yourself. If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to make sure it is working to safety standards.